"Pearl's Hill a.k.a. Mount Stamford hill, located in the Central Region of Singapore and at 56.4 ha, is the largest sub-zone of the Outram area. Initially the location of Chinese-owned spice plantations, the hill was first called Mount Stamford, after Sir Stamford Raffles. Its current name is taken from Lt. James Pearl, Commander of the Indiana who bought the hill in 1822. Institutional buildings located here have included the Seaman's Hospital, Tan Tock Seng's Pauper Hospital, and Pearl's Hill Prison a.k.a Outram Road Gaol or H. M. Prisons." (- National Library Board Singapore)
Heliconia flower bed. In the background is the Pearl's Hill covered reservoir.